Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Warm Finnish Cinnamon Buns: The Nordic Bakery

Nestled in a quietly in London streets are a few a small Scandinavian run bakeries that has been causing quite a flutter on Twitter. Why, you ask?


Thick, viscous coffee, accompanied by fresh warm doughy cinnamon rolls that I could easily melt into. Crisp on the outside, liberally laced with cinnamon spice and sugar and light soft and warm dough in the middle, this is one serious contender for the best cinnamon roll I've ever had the pleasure to eat. They are the size of a man's fist, and perfect for sharing - that's if you can bear to.

The Nordic Bakeries also offer a variety of fare, open sandwiches mostly on dark rye bread with a variety of toppings which all fascinated me; gravadlax, pickled herring or brie with lingonberry jam; and other savory snacks such as Karelian pie – its crunchy rye crust giving way to a rice or mashed potato filling. Finnish founder Jali Wahlsten said he wanted it to be "just like any cafe you'd find across Scandinavia," serving food and drink that "someone will be eating at the same moment in Copenhagen or Helsinki".

They love to share their uniquely Finnish take on their recipes too, believing that they should be accessible, with a recipe book and even giving several to the Guardian here (I, for one think they know you would be mad to make these yourself, when you can buy warm fresh buns almost singing 'eat me' from the counter top baskets.)

You wouldn't believe how much work I get done the days I wander in, the coffee and sugar high giving me such a boost, much to the amusement of my workmates.
 
With several locations in London (so far) which you may find by following your nose to the delicious cinnamon aroma, or more information can be found here on their website. The buns are best warm, accompanied with a hot beverage. Their bakeries are very stylishly Scandinavian minimal, with comfortably low slung furniture in various shades of grey, blue and black that help you to linger and relax. A warning though, it can get busy with workers - luckily they offer takeaway.
 
(I haven't been comped & they don't know who I am, I just wanted to share the deliciousness).
 
What's your favourite bun filling? Raspberry, Lemon Curd, Cinnamon?

0 comments

Post a Comment