Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baked Eggs: Brunch Recipe Share

The last few days, only one breakfast item has occupied my mind. Everyone that knows me in 'real life' knows that I adore eggs, and when I saw on quite a few blogs that you can bake eggs as a tasty brunch dish, I knew my next recipe exploration was sealed. Diving off from G-Ma's recipe, I honestly didn't make much of a splash in terms of changing things up as this was my first try, but I can certainly see several variations.

They are really really easy. Chop most of the ingredients, brown an onion, add all ingredients & bake for 15-20 minutes whilst cooking some toast for dipping (this is essential, no arguments please unless you are wheat intolerant, in which case, fair enough. Brown/Wholegrain bread is good)

My hubby even loved them, and said he'd eaten eggs as good as these in Restaurants who charge mega-bucks. I was pink with chuffed-ness.

Baked Eggs
 
 

My versions of G-Ma's recipe:

Per serving;
1/4 of an onion
A leaf of Chard or small handful of Spinach
A Cherry Tomato or a quarter of a normal size Tomato
An Egg or Two depending on your appetite
A tablespoon of Milk or Cream
A tablespoon of Grated or very thinly sliced Cheese
  1. Brown the onion
  2. Chop most of the ingredients,
  3. Layer all ingredients in a ramekin bar the egg, Milk & Cheese
  4. Crack in the Egg, pour the milk over the Egg (like you are gently glazing it) & pop the Cheese on top
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the whites are just set but yolks are still runny
  6. Cook some toast for dipping
  7. Serve & Enjoy, seasoning to taste - we added a sprinking of Italian Herb mix.
These would be amazing with Ham, Pepper, Tomato Chutney, Feta, Bacon, Salami, Grated Courgette, Mushroom, Pre-Cooked Broccoli Pumpkin or Kumara... basically anything you have in the fridge, just ensure it's all cooked through.

Our Baked Eggs this morning were served with Olive Bread & Fish Fingers, just because they were on hand, and we love them!

Did you notice the Sunshine in the photo? Double score today.

0 comments

Post a Comment