Saturday, June 23, 2012

London Living: £400,000 of Gold in my hands

I held £400,000 of gold in my hands this morning, in the Bank of England, and no I wasn’t chased out by security. They let me.

We couldn’t take any photos of it, but we walked through along the fabulous mosaic hallways, were taken through a brief history of the bank site (originally in rented accomodation, they moved to a purpose built site in Threadneedle street, where they are now, then compulsory purchased the next-door church! which they bulldozed), wandered through the incredibly plush bank governers quarters, perused the Polish crystal-ware kept for the Queen luncheons, before we came to the highlight of the tour - the banknote museum. No really, the gold bar holding. Awesome. It's 13kg and heavier than you think it would be.
Cool geek fact - Queen Elisabeth II is the first UK monarch to be featured on UK paper notes. 


The only schneaky pic I took, and by far the best.


I’m just disappointed we couldn’t keep the gold bar.
This is soo how Rich & I were;


Education
Credit

It was pretty cool, an unusual ways to spend a morning. Check out their website if you're interested (and get there early!). There are only a few weekends they open in the year, but it's worth it.

Todays workout: gold weights (arms) and 40 minutes walking.

0 comments

Post a Comment