Saturday, August 11, 2012

London Living: Greyhound Racing

A very good friend of mine decided as a birthday treat, she'd like to spend a night at the races. Not just any races, but the Greyhound races in South London. Now, I'm up for pretty much anything once me, and this sounded like an evening straight out of Only Fools and Horses (oh how I wanted to see someone with a Sheepskin coat!)

My only reservations about doing this, is the treatment that animals can have at the hands of trainers. Much like animal circuses (which you won't see me at. Ever.) I don't like to support any organisation that brutalises animals, even by omission, but I looked into it, and on the surface of things, they appear to be ok, and are heavily regulated to keep owners in check;

"Whilst welfare standards in decades past have not been as high as they are now, modern-day greyhound racing is well regulated and well run. Greyhounds are identifiable and are trained by licensed trainers whose facilities are regularly inspected. In decades gone by, the sport was perhaps not so welfare conscious and some practices that were acceptable in the past are certainly not acceptable today. That legacy that has led to perceptions of the sport does not represent an accurate picture of greyhound racing as it is today." Credit

I volunteered as a youngster at the SPCA in New Zealand, taking the dogs for walks (the only problem was that I was allergic to a large number of cats, and the dogs took ME for walks) so I've seen mistreated animals. Still, I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy the night.

The long and short of it is, we had a fun night out that didn't involve copious amounts of drinking, and the dog from our perspective seem to enjoy it - one particularily enegertic pup getting loose and doing an extra lap!



An accidental motion capture shot! Enlarge for detail.

We also caught the 4x100 relay in the Olympics, and carefully followed Tom Daley in the Diving by BBC and live website updates - so close mate!!

There were a surprising amount of Hen & Stag parties there, and the amount of men in wigs and dresses was staggering. I'm not sure what Del boy & Rodney would have made of them!

Todays Workout: an hour walking, 30 minutes altogether running up and down 4 flights of stairs.

0 comments

Post a Comment