Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Reading Recommendation

There was such hype about this book, and I kept saying to myself "Shall I get it? Is it all just hype? Should I get a samurai sword?" And the answers are Yes, Somewhat but it is still awesome - mostly as it has ninjas and butt-kicking in it and probably No. It wasn't until I was walking to work one day, and an American guy said to his mate "Pride and Prejudice with Zombies man, dude it was cool" I knew it was a sign and had to get it.


The Zombies, the Ninjas, the crinolines, the riduculous faux modesty, the sword wielding - need I go on? It made me laugh from the moment I opened it's pages, and that's all I wanted from it. I didn't really expect Seth Grahame-Smith to blow me away with his erudite prose, but I did love the way that he weaves in the premise that the world is suffering from a Zombie plague.

It's a bit patchy, and I agree with a few other reviews I read - there definately could have been more beheading of the more annoying characters. One aspect I enjoyed, to my surprise, is that you can put this down after a few chapters, and pick it up again later and it will be there waiting. Normally I inhale books, but this I liked as I could have on Stand-By and meander through it at will.

I liked Pride and Prejudice, I loved Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

 
Whilst I think this satiated my bloodthirsty/YA side, I'm not sure I'll be picking up the rest of the series of Austen books re-written, but it was certainly a good chuckle, and like most of the Austen books, I will no doubt pick it up again later on.

(Disclaimer: the above links to an Amazon Associates UK account, which means I make a little money (less than 5%) from any purchases made after clicking through these links, but at no extra charge to you. So if you are interested in buying the book, please click through the link under the image. Help support a book addiction...)

0 comments

Post a Comment