Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Foodie-in-training: Macarons

In the last while, we've enjoyed some really interesting foods and tastes;
But these babies are my favourite so far:



I wish I could claim that I have painstakingly creamed, baked, piped and assembled them, but I would be lying (though I do make a mean Melting Moment biscuit - I used to make them for my Dad, and people would steal them out of his lunchbox). Today we 'happened' to pass by a lovely shop selling them in central London, and my cousin has just returned from a European trip, and tried these in the Parisian flagship store.

From a dizzying array of Macarons including Lime, Lemon, Violet, Raspberry, Caramel, Peruvian Chocolate, Coffee, Mocha, we chose Caramel with Sea Salt, Chocolate, Mint & Vanilla.

The Chocolate (hubby's favourite) would be a perfect afternoon tea with a strong coffee or cup of tea. The biscuit texture is solidly smooth, then you hit the smooth lush ganache filling.

The Caramel was lucious and unctious, but they are small enough to feel like a lovely treat and not overwelm you. The salt was a subtle hint to accompany the divine caramel biscuit, with a creamy centre and caramel surprise.

The Mint surprised us. It's 'Garden' Mint flavoured as opposed to peppermint which we were expecting, and after our initial surprise, an earthy palate cleanser.

The Vanilla was my tied favourite (with the Caramel, can you tell?) With specks of vanilla scattered throughout, it was soft creamy and sweet.

 


Overall rating: Inhaled



A potted history;
The story of the Ladurée macaron starts with Pierre Desfontaines, second cousin of Louis Ernest Ladurée, who at the beginning of the 20th century first thought of taking two macaron shells and joining them with a delicious ganache filling.

These small, round cakes, crisp on the outside, smooth and soft in the middle, are made every morning in Ladurée’s “laboratory”. The pastry chefs measure out very precisely the required amounts of almonds, eggs and sugar, before adding one final ingredient, a pinch of unique “know-how”, essential to the making of such a delicacy. Once cooked and filled, the macarons are put to one side for 2 days before going on sale, the time it takes to achieve a perfect balance between texture and flavour.

The only moan I have is the shop is teeny and cramped, and only fits two people in it's width. I wasn't comped by Laduree to write this, I just wanted an excuse to try them to share these with you, the general public, but Laduree if you would like to send us a few more to sample & review, I think I could bring myself to assist!

Todays Workout (Burning off 4 half Macaron's): 10 minutes running, 45 minutes solid walking, 10 minutes on the stair machine.

What are your favourite biscuits?

0 comments

Post a Comment