Saturday, December 15, 2012

Desert Island Discs

Your task - should you accept it - is to choose 6 books, 6 songs and 6 movies which you would like to take with onto your desert island ... plus one "luxury item" which may not be a means of escape or communication or a living creature.  You do get:
 
Sufficient food and water
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
Whatever Religious book you would care to follow
A gramophone (or CD player in this day and age)
and
A Video and TV with which to play movies
 

Off the top of my head I think I would choose;

6 Books:
The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern - Beautiful and dreamlike it's a wonderful escape.
The Twilight Saga Omnibus, Stephanie Meyer (is that cheating?) - Yes, I'm a little bit of a Twihard, it's a guilty pleasure that I enjoy re-reading occasionally.
The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett - This is a childhood favourite of mine, I wonder why is came to mind?
A guide to tropical plants - It always pays to be prepared on a Desert Island.
War & Peace, Leo Tolstoy - It's a life goal to read this baby, and let's be honest,being marooned on a Desert Island with no real distractions is probably the best time to read it.
The next book in whatever series I'm reading at the time.

6 Songs - This one is really hard:
The Spirit of Radio, Rush - To remind me of my husband.
Eye of the Tiger, Survivor - Reminding me to never give up
What You Want, Evanescence - Brilliant Rock song I can't get enough of at the moment.
Broken, Seether feat. Amy Lee - Beautiful rock duet.
Hope (the long version), Fat Freddy's Drop - The perfect summer jam by an awesome Kiwi band. Perfect for sitting under a Palm tree.
Small World, Roddy Frame - I love this song, and would love to have the time to the singing timings right.

6 Movies
Robin Hood, Men in Tights - The funniest movie ever.
The Second Twilight Movie - I just loved it.
Memoirs of a Geisha - for the sheer stunning cinematography.
Airplane - The second funniest movie ever.
Lord of the Rings - to remind me of NZ & because I was an extra in it (my 15 second claim to fame).
Silence of the Lambs - I've not seen it in a long time, but I would like to again.

An acoustic guitar would be my luxury item - I always wanted to learn to play it properly, I could try charming the locals, write songs, use the strings for fishing wire if I ran out of food, and could use it to collect water, or a weapon in case of danger.

I must admit I'm not very good at these 'favourite lists' for instance favourite foods the answer tends to be "Er," and whichever one I fancy at that given moment.
 
I would love you to leave your picks in the comments section below, or link to a post in your own blog, also in the comments section.

0 comments

Post a Comment