Thursday, September 20, 2012

American Dreaming: Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

As the nights are drawing in, American blogs are flaring up with Pumpkin flavoured recipes. I love Pumpkin, and have gone to many lengths in the past to track down Libby's Pumpkin Puree, last year making a Pumpkin Pie (which I adored and hubby liked). I don't what it is that first attracted me to Pumpkin; we've always loved in at home in New Zealand, it's a particular childhood favourite, and when I heard that you can make a dessert out of it, I had to try it and was hooked. The only downside is an old boss of mine found out that I loved it, and used to make mini-pies for me when she wanted me to work a particularily long or awful shift.

There is something subtle and rich I like about the taste; mellow and lovely.

When I saw that you can make a smoothie out of it, I had to get out my smoothie maker and have a try. I made a couple of amendments to it; adding Oats to it to make it into more of a breakfast item, adding more Cinnamon and Nutmeg and substitute ice cubes, as I didn't have any, for frozen Mango Chunks.

Feel like treating yourself for Breakfast? It's actually rather OK Kcals-wise if you use yoghurt instead of Whipped Cream; though you could do that too as a sumptious pudding or dessert.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie



Original recipe courtesy of Spoonful

Ingredients

1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt or Greek yoghurt (with half a tsp of Vanilla Essence)
50g plain porridge Oats
60ml milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. sugar
4 ice cubes (or in my case 50g frozen Mango Chunks)
  1. Combine ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Pour the smoothies into small glasses (this drink is rich) and garnish each with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or whipped topping.
  3. For a fun touch, add a pinch of cinnamon or a few colored sprinkles. Serves 2.

0 comments

Post a Comment