Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Kiwi Care Package

It's funny the things that you take for granted when you live in your home country, that become more sought after once they aren't within a 10-minute walk to the nearest supermarket. I have quite a sweet tooth anyway, but sometimes there is a longing in my eye for the tastes of home that are a struggle to get, or are eye-wateringly expensive.


Take for instance the humble Squiggle. One of my childhood favourites, there isn't quite any replacement capable of giving you the same hokey-pokey induced sugar coma.



TimTams, even though mentioning these Australian biscuits make me feel a little like I'm betraying my Kiwi roots, are another such item. Hubby staunchly defends P-P-P-Penguins, and although they are ok in a pinch, they don't quite measure up to lovely Timtams. In the name of research, extensive blind taste-testing has been done by NZ based Kiwis, UK based English people, and a few random friends, and Timtams come out on top 8/10 times. Fact.

Just recently I have been lucky enough to recieve goodies from the fair Kiwi shores, and I'm happy to confirm that since I was last home, they haven't let the quality slip, thankfully.

My cousin who has recently come to the UK is missing proper Vegemite -the UKs version "is weird tasting and the texture of honey, just not proper tasting."

I have to admit the UK does a mean biscuit - Jaffa Cakes, Viennese fingers and Chocolate Fingers to name but a few, but sometimes there just isn't anything like a taste of home.
 

0 comments

Post a Comment