Thursday, September 13, 2012

Banana Fruit Cake

I have to fess up. I had cake for dinner. But, I made myself feel better about the fact that it has loads of fruit in it - in amongst the scaled down butter, sugar & flour. It's a basic Banana cake with a few tweaks here and there, to vaguely heathify it up - removing some of the Butter, Sugar and all of the Oil, and to suit the ingredients I had in the cupboard.

I love a contrast in textures, and loved the light, fruity Banana Cake slices served with Light Creme Fraiche & a wee bit of Dulce de Leche on the top. For blog and research purposes you understand.

The cake has about 4.5 serves of Fruit in it in total, so it could be worse. Everything in Moderation - I think that if you have a little of something you want, you won't crave and then eat loads of something really bad for you. I want to make a Zuchinni or a Beetroot Cake next. And a Herman Cake.

Banana Cake
 

Ingredients

100g Sugar (I used Brown sugar)
100g Butter (I used a lighter, slighlty salted Butter)
100g Apple Sauce or Apple Pie filling
A handful of Sultanas & Dried Cherries (Optional)
3 Mashed Browning Bananas
2 Eggs
300g Flour
2.5 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Lemon Juice
60ml Milk

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C in a normal oven. Grease or line your Cake Tin with
  2. Cream the Butter and Sugar until light (or until you get bored/distracted - the longer you cream them, the more aerated they will be & the lighter cake you'll get).
  3. Slowly add the eggs, then stir in the Bananas, Apple Pie filling, Sultanas and Dried Cherries. By this point the mix may look a little funky, but don't worry, it's not broken.
  4. Add the Flour & Baking Powder slowly. Many recipes recommend you fold them in a figure of eight. Your choice of number, though 8 it is a very lucky number in the Chinese traditions.
  5. Add the Lemon Juice and Milk stirring them through.
  6. Transfer into the Cake Tin & Bake for about 40minutes, or until a skewer inserted to the middle of the cake comes out clean.
  7. Enjoy. This Cake is great hot as a Dessert, or Cooled with a Hot (or for wierdos like me, Cold) Cup of Tea, with Creme Fraiche, Light Cream Cheese or buttered if you are walking on the dark side.
 I cooked my cakes in two smaller tins as that's all I had, but it made two almost Slice-like Cakes.



What is your favourite Cake? Banana, & Carrot Cake are my favourites.

0 comments

Post a Comment