Monday, November 5, 2012

Autumn Warmers - Pumpkin & Parsnip Soup (Slow Cooker)

This soup warms you from your toes, to the top of your head. Homey and soft, it's one of my absoloute favourite things to cook in my slow-cooker.

It's healthy too - you don't need to add any cream or cheese - though it is scumptious if you to want to take a walk on the wild side. It is one of those recipes that to me almost feels too simple - vegetables + stock + a bit of extra flavour to add depth.

I did tell you that I liked Pumpkin didn't I? I'm very lucky that the Curry Powder I have was specially made for me by my Foodie Penpal, Lin. Scrumptious.

You can use most root vegetables, though I found that using potato made it a bit boring.

Instead of throwing away the Pumpkin Seeds, try drying them and adding flavour, a great snack if you hold back on the oil & butter. A great recipe I found is here and has a variety of suggestions.

Pumpkin & Parsnip Soup


Ingredients:
  • A Red Onion
  • Half a Pumpkin or a small Butternut Squash, with the skin off*
  • Two large Parsnips
  • A couple of nobs of butter
  • 2 cups of Chicken Stock
  • 1 Tablespoons or Curry Powder or 2 teaspoons of Paprika
  • Thick Cut Bacon & Cream Fraiche to serve
  1. Turn your slow-cooker on. If on high the soup will take 3-4hours, on low the soup will take 6-7 hours (another reason I love it - turn it on when you leave for work, come back to a hot cooked dinner).
  2. Dice the Red Onion, and cube the Pumpkin/Squash and Parsnip.
  3. Add to the cooker with the butter. Leave to cook for about half an hour. This par-roasts the vege, giving it a little richer flavour.
  4. Mix, then add the stock and Curry Power / Paprika.
  5. Leave to bubble away for either 3-4 hours on high, or 6-7 hours on low; until all the vegetables are soft**
  6. Mash with a potato masher, if like me, you like your soup chunky (also like me) or blend once a little cooler for a velvet like texture.
  7. Enjoy on it's own, or with cream fraiche and bacon chunks stirred through, accompanied by fresh bread. Autumnal bliss. Serves about 4 bowlfuls.
* Tip: unless your pumpkin is really bumpy, use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. A lot of people use a knife but it removes so much of the flesh.
** Essential Tip: Cover the slow-cooker with a tea towel!

0 comments

Post a Comment