Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Weekday Cocktails

Warning: this post may make you thirsty.


I think I've found an awesome way to dispell weekday blues - cocktail classes!
Now, I'm nothing but honest (and probably usually overshare) and in this instance I was a guest of Balans in Stratford, but my (many) opinions are only ever my own.



When I left my office to hop on the tube to Stratford, I wasn't sure what to expect, but we were warmly welcomed with a fresh Bellini and a big smile from our instructor and her assistant.


Our instructor was a (cocktail making) mother hen to our gaggle of giggling bloggees. We were taught how to make a variety of cocktails in a beginners shaker - it's really good because us bloggers all love things that we can try again at home, and none of them required special equipment bar the Shaker. We made a Berrylicious (Blackberries, Raspberries, Berry Puree and White Rum);


My all-time favourite Margarita (it was so good, it was inhaled - the nice thing is you can tailor them to your own tastes when you make them):


We then stopped for a snack break with some nice nosh; Gruyere and Spinach Quiche, Calamari, Turkish Pitta and dips, Ham Terrine.


Tried a Red Ribbon (made in honour of Elton John's Aids Foundation, which was lovely);



Then a Balans White Russian, with a seasonal decoration... the decoration kinda worked (if you squint and kind of tilt your head it's two bells.)


They cheerfully accommodated our non-alcohol drinker, and whilst a couple of the mocktails were (by her own admission as they don't often get the request) on-the-fly adventures, two of them looked delicious - the berry mocktail with pomegrante syrup and the layered hazelnut coffee. It led to a really interesting conversation about sugar syrups, and how easy they are to make at home and flavour with your chosen ingrediant. Future Challenge accepted.

Oh, and apparently Pumpkin Spice Syrup is really good in cocktails. Second Future Challenge accepted and ingredients ordered..


One of the best things about this particular restaurant - the vicinity to public transport links. You can get just about anywhere, as long as it's in London or Essex, and you are willing to make a few changes.


There are a few branches of Balans, dotted over London and Miami, see the Balans Website for further details. The Cocktail classes were well organised, are held regularily, cost £39.95 and I think for the quality pretty good value for money; 5 drinks, great nibbles and some really interesting tuition. And you get to Ghetto Dump (it's the way you pour the cocktail into the glass, fyi).

There are a few ladies who I'm going to round up & suggest we hit another one of the branches up. Practice makes perfect after all.

I've also got a possible Margarita night planned in my 101 in 1001 goals.

The ladies I met have some awesome blogs: Simply Foods, Botanical Baker, Food I Fancy, Pebble Soup and Ladies in Blogging a UK blogging network.
What is your favourite Cocktail? Have you ever tried a Mocktail?

0 comments

Post a Comment